Sunday, October 5, 2008

We miss you Sweet Matthew


One year ago today my little 21-month old friend Matthew passed away. Oh, what a very difficult year it has been for his wonderful family.

Many of you readers know about this tragedy as it has so heavily effected my life. On October 2nd of last year I got a phone call in the evening from Michael, Matthew's dad saying that Matthew had gotten outside and in just a short time climbed the back of the soccer net and got strangled in it. When Ave, my dear friend and mother of Matthew, found him it was too late to save him. He did live for a few days but it was evident fairly early on that his chances were not good. I spent that evening with my friend at the police station and then at the hospital where they evaluated her. The next day I took her to the hospital where she saw her boy for the first time since he was taken away in the ambulence. I spent every day, all day with them at the hospital, waiting to know the fate of this sweet boy.

I have never felt such anguish or suffering as I did watching my friends lose thier son. To make matters worse, Ave and I had our boys at the same time and both named them Matthew. So I got to go home to my sweet boy and hold his breathing, healthy, beautiful body in my arms while they were left with a gaping wound of loss.

It has been a hard year and one I will forever be grateful for. I have learned a bit about what the Savior means when he tells us to mourn with those who mourn. I feel closer to Him, my Savior, because of this experience. My heart still aches for my friends as I watch them deal with their loss. They still hurt and probably will for a very long time. But the Lord has blessed them with something wonderful, a new child. Little Christpoher Luke was born on September 28th and is a beautiful, sweet little healing addition to their family. I know he brings them joy and some comfort. I am so very, very thankful to know where little Matthew is and that he is alive and well. What would be do without that powerful knowledge? I know I would be lost.

A few words about sweet Matthew: He was one of the happiest kids I have ever met. Really he always had a smile on his face. He was very athletic and smart. He could talk well for his age. He cocked his head to the side with a cute little mischevious smile. Boy, I miss him! I can still see him playing here at my house with balls-he always went for the balls and could really throw them, even at 21 months. He and my Matthew had a great time together. We miss you Matthew and can't wait to see you again.

5 comments:

Jayna said...

What a beautiful tribute. I just recently heard this story briefly mentioned on our news because they are finally recalling those nets. Hopefully this will never happen to anyone again.

Bridgette said...

Thanks for sharing the news of Christopher Luke. I am so glad they decided to have another child. I hope they are able to feel Peace about little Matthew and that awful tragedy.

Heidi said...

What a terribly hard year it's been. Andrea your support to them is worth more than gold. You have been a friend in the truest way.

jesse said...

Andrea and Jordan, I wanted to congratulate you both on the great news of having twins. Heidi broke the news to me today. I’m so happy for you both. Your have 4 great kids and having two more will only make this world a special place. Good luck and have an easy delivery.
Jesse
**please forgive me for posting this on this site.

Amy and Chad Larson Family said...

Hi Andrea! I just found your blog. I'm so sorry for your friends loss. My sister lost her only child, a girl, almost the same age as Matthew, just over five months ago. It was also sudden and tragic. There aren't really words to describe being close to a loss like this, are there? I pray your friends are doing well (and you too--it is hard on everyone). My sister is an amazing writer and has a great blog: jacksonparkcity.blogspot.com. I know she is also part of a larger network of families (mostly LDS I think) who have a private blog for people who have lost children. Thought your friends might be interested.

Great news about your twins! I'm sure you must feel overwhelmed with joy and anxiety, but the Lord will take care of you.

By the way, my sister just found out today that she is having a boy on April 6th! Miracles never cease.

Love you guys!

Amy Larson